My most loved veggie is Humble Baigan/Brinjal/Eggplant. Give me anything which had brinjal in it and I will be happy to finish it up. Prepare this easy baigan ka bharta and get hooked to the charms of Baigan forever.
Recipe of Baigan ka Bharta/ Mashed Eggplant
1. Brinjal : 1 large or 3 medium ones
2. Onions : 2 medium sized (chopped in thin long stripes)
3. Tomatoes : 2 large sized (chopped finely)
4. Garlic : 5 pods (chopped finely)
5. Green chilly : 2 (chopped finely)
6. Fresh green coriander leaves : 1/2 cup ( chopped finely)
7. Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
8. Coriander powder : 1 tsp
9. Cumin powder : 1 and 1/2 tsp
10.Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
11. Salt to taste
12. Mustard oil : 2 tbsp
13. Fried Urad dal dumplings/Vadi/Vadiyan (for garnishing)
Clean the brinjal and wipe it clean and dry.
Roast the brinjal on a gas cooktop on a low flame turning occasionaly.
Continue till all the sides are charred and the brinjal turns soft.
Then allow it to cool and then peel off the charred skin.Coarsely mash it and keep aside.
Now put a kadhai on medium heat and add the mustard oil. When hot, add the cumin seeds and cook till the spluttering stops.
Add the onions and fry till soft and translucent.Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
Then add the tomatoes,green chillies,coriander powder,cumin powder,chilly powder and salt.
Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes. Now add the roasted brinjal and mix well.
Add the chopped fresh coriander and stir. Cook another minute and turn off the heat.
Put some extra half tsp of cumin powder over it and cover it.
To serve Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves and fried urad dal daumplings. This mashed eggplant goes well with plain chapati, steamed rice and watery rice.
For added taste to make it mild , add fresh home made cream and stir well.